As your Irvine City Councilmember, it is important to me that you and your family have a safe, happy, and crime-free holiday season.
Here are some Holiday Crime Prevention Tips from the Irvine Police Department to help ensure that your holidays are safe, happy, and crime-free:
- If you’re out shopping for holiday meals or gifts, be sure to lock your car and roll up your windows.
- Don’t leave your purse, wallet, cellphone or other valuables in your vehicle in plain view.
- When possible, keep your purchases on you while shopping instead of leaving them in your car. If you need to leave these things in your car, the best place is in a secure, locked trunk.
- If you are having packages sent to your home, bring them inside as soon as possible. If you won’t be home to receive your deliveries, consider having items delivered to your workplace, or ask a friend or trusted neighbor to pick it up for you. Use tracking numbers and delivery notifications to track your shipments.
- Be mindful when displaying gifts at home. Try not to leave them in places where they will be visible from the outside.
- After holiday dinners and parties, always make sure you have a sober, safe ride home.
- If you are traveling out of town, make sure your house appears occupied by using timers on lights and televisions, and exterior motion detectors outside. Ask a friend or trusted neighbor to check on your house and collect your mail and newspaper.
- Be careful what you post on social media. Avoid posting your holiday travel plans or pictures of you and your family while you’re away, so that your absence isn’t exploited by untrusted social media followers.
Important Telephone Numbers for the Irvine Police Department:
- Non-Emergency: 949-724-7000
- Emergency: Dial 9-1-1 for Emergencies and crimes in progress.
You must be logged in to post a comment.