I am working with City of Irvine staff and the coordinator for the Great Park Farmer’s Market to develop a drive-thru Farmer’s Market for this Sunday, March 22 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
At this time, there are approximately 23 vendors scheduled to participate with items varying from fruits and vegetables to hummus, bread, beef jerky, honey, and eggs.
A traffic safety plan has been developed with the assistance of Public Works & Transportation, Public Safety, and Community Services staff to facilitate anticipated traffic. Beginning tomorrow, message boards will be placed in key areas, in and around the Great Park, to provide residents with advanced notice of the event.
The City’s PIO team will be sending important information regarding the Market via social media to include the following:
- Drive-thru only. No walk-ups or cyclists will be served.
- Exact cash is required, if using cash. Venmo and bank cards will be accepted.
- Purchase only what is needed, be considerate of others in need.
- Be patient and proceed slowly when waiting in traffic.
- Wash all produce before consumption.
- A traffic map detailing the one-way only traffic flow will also be shared.
The Market will be staffed with four uniformed police officers in marked vehicles to assist in traffic flow and to ensure social distancing is adhered to. Community Services will also have three staff on-site beginning at 6 a.m. to facilitate the vendors or provide additional assistance as needed.
I’ve always loved farmer’s markets, and I’m glad I was able to help provide fresh food to our community when it’s never been more important to eat right to stay healthy!