Human trafficking and child marriage are global problems that deny autonomy to and harm the physical, sexual, and emotional health of its victims.
Here are some disturbing facts about human trafficking:
- Human trafficking is a term for a modern form of slavery. It is a criminal human rights violation.
- There are more slaves today than at any time in human history.
- 20.9 million people around the world are victims of human trafficking.
- Human trafficking is one of the fastest growing crimes in the world, second only to drug trafficking.
- The world-wide business of human trafficking brings in an estimated $150 billion a year.
- According to the U.S. State Department, approximately two million women and children are victims of human trafficking every year.
- Half of human trafficking victims are younger than 16 years old.
On September 14, 2019, UCI Law School is hosting an important Human Trafficking and Child Marriage Forum.
Scholars, experts, legislators, and public officials will share research findings, examples from their work, and policy proposals for the way forward.
The forum is sponsored by Global Hope 365, UCI Initiative to End Family Violence, and UCI Law School, and will provide the opportunity to exchange ideas for solutions and increase momentum for legislative change.
Forum participants will include Dr. Melissa Withers (USC Keck School of Medicine), Dr. Jodi Quas (UCI School of Social Ecology), Jane Stover (UCI School of Law), Rima Nashashibi (Global Hope 365), Michelle Hester (Waymakers), Chief David Nisleit (San Diego Police Department), Sergeant Juan Raveles (Anaheim Police Department), Dr. Corey Rood (UCI School of Medicine), Debbie Martis (Riverside County Anti-Human Trafficking Task Force), Dr. Sandra Morgan (Vanguard University Global Center for Women and Justice), State Senator Connie M. Leyva, and Orange County Supervisor Doug Chafee.
Date: Saturday, September 14, 2019
Light lunch: 11:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Event time: 12:00-2:30 p.m.
UCI School of Law | EDU 1111
401 E. Peltason Dr., Irvine, CA 92697
Registration is $10 and includes lunch.
Free for UCI students.
MCLE credit is available.
You must be logged in to post a comment.