Irvine is proud of its outstanding public schools and its long-standing reputation as America’s safest city — so we’re very pleased to help students get to school in the safest possible way along the safest route.
Take a look at the Suggested Routes to School put together by our Irvine Department of Transportation.
You’ll be able to find the best and safest route to your child’s school.
These routes are intended for children who walk or ride bicycles to school. We strongly encourage you to review the plan with your child and, if possible, walk the route to make sure he/she understands the route.
In addition, our Irvine Police Department has several tips to help you and your children get to and from school safely each day.
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Leave early. The first couple of weeks of school bring heavier traffic. You won’t have to rush if you plan for a little extra time.
- Obey all traffic laws and signs in school zones.
- Drop children off in the designated locations. Do not allow children to get out of the car in the middle of the street.
- Remember that everyone has the same goal of getting their children to school safely, so be patient with other drivers and pedestrians.
- Always obey crossing guards.
- Always use crosswalks.
- Do not engage in distracted driving. This is especially dangerous in school zones.
- Our Traffic officers patrol the streets near school to ensure safety. Remember to slow down and make complete stops at stop signs.
Should you need assistance regarding traffic issues, please call the Irvine Police Department’s non-emergency line at 949-724-7000.
Have a wonderful school year!